The first of Orangeburg County was William Thomson, who was appointed in 1772.
William Thomson was born in the then Orangeburgh District on January 16, 1737. On August 14, 1755, he married Eugenia Russell, daughter of Captain Charles Russell of the Amelia Township, presently known as St. Matthews.
For many years, Thomson served as justice of the peace and an Indian trader with the Cherokees. He also served as Major of the Rangers, a military and militia group in the Orangeburgh District. In 1772, Thomson served on the commission appointed to adjust the boundary line between North and South Carolina, along with James Cook and attorneys William Moultrie and Benjamin Farrar. Also in 1772, Thomson was appointed by then Governor Montague as the first of the newly created Orangeburgh District and served until 1775. After his duty in law enforcement, he served as a Colonel in the Third South Carolina Infantry and a state senator.
William Thomson died in Sweet Springs, Virginia. He was 69.